PIA - an icon of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
PIA is driven by the highest standards of corporate governance and social responsibility. As a public sector organization and a business leader, PIA believes in building strong relationships with customers, partners, employees, and the communities in which it operates. It is the deliberate inclusion of public interest into corporate decision taking, and the honoring of triple bottom line: People, Profit and Planet.
Having an enhanced exposure to the advanced world, PIA has been instrumental in bringing the latest technology and ideas forward, and sharing the same with other cores of life in the country since its inception in 1955. Pioneering in adoption of Information Technology and introduction of computers in the country and fully promoting the sportsmen are just two of many initial contributions of the airline. A step ahead, PIA has also institutionalized the practice of good governance by establishing a Corporate Social Responsibility Committee. This high level and appropriately empowered committee comprise of one CHRO (Chief Human Resource Officer), five General Managers / Equivalents, and one Deputy General Manager. The Committee provides a platform to evaluate, update, and recommend best practices, and CSR is woven into the fabric of daily operations at PIA. The following routine activities supporting the community reflect PIA’s belief in contributing for the betterment of the society:
The PIA Scouts Association is a provincial segment of the Pakistan Scouts Association. Through its various community and educational programs, it contributes to the education of young people and helps build a better world where individuals can play constructive roles in the society.
PIA fully sponsors Al-Shifa Trust, which provides relief and rehabilitation services to special children suffering from cerebral palsy and other motor disorders. It is dedicated to ensuring that the children, adults, young and old, with physical disabilities receive opportunities to achieve their maximum potential for independence within their family and their community. PIA keeps on supporting this center which is a home to many such members of the society and a ray of hope for their families.
Education & Training
PIA is contributing a lot in educating the community in multifarious disciplines of professional skills and awareness programs through the following of its entities:
- PIA Planetariums – Viewing the wonders of the universes in a virtual environment
- PIA Training Centre – Training in aviation and management fields
- PIA Model Secondary School – Scattered on 10 acres for 1500 children
- PIA Industrial Training Institute – Empowering people to earn livelihoods
In addition to maintaining indoor and outdoor plants and trees, PIA Horticulture provides seasonal flowers for display in PIA's offices and contributes towards a greener Pakistan by active participation in tree plantation campaigns.
PIA Employee Health and Medical Services
The health and welfare of our employees has always been a matter of utmost importance and significance. PIA’s medical facilities cover the employees’ parents and spouses, children up to the age of 27, unmarried daughters, and disabled, mentally challenged children of any age in collaboration with reputable hospitals, diagnostic labs, and medical institutions. Retired employees and their spouses are also eligible for medical care at PIA's Medical Centers.
Corporate Safety & Quality Assurance
The PIA Corporate Safety & Quality Assurance Division ensures safe operations by monitoring implementation of international standards and recommended industry practices. Following are the fundamental components of its various programs:
- IOSA (IATA Operational Safety Audit) Certification – PIA is the one of the 300 airlines of the world and the only airline of the country that conforms to this high value certification
- Fire Safety at Workplace & Home – Technological protection and awareness campaigns are the major tool.
- Emergency Response Planning (ERP) – Comprehensive SOPs, Training, Exercises, a state of the art Emergency Response Centre (ERC) and motivated Volunteer Teams to manage aircraft emergencies and natural disasters
- Health, Safety & Environment - PIA has been proactive in understanding the needs of time and has launched the Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) initiative. The objective of this program is to mature the airline’s HSE systems to a level which will eventually lead to OHSAS-18001 and ISO-14001 certification.
Collaboration with Make-A-Wish Foundation
Fulfilling the wishes of critically ill children in collaboration with Make-A-Wish Foundation by flying them as Captain, Airhostess and passengers is a continued feature at PIA. Recently, as an extension of this support, Donation Envelopes have also been placed onboard PIA aircraft.
Support for Needy people in Thar
As a part of its corporate social responsibility initiatives in providing help to charities and trusts, not only the airline but its employees are equally contributing towards noble causes. Last month, they have donated their one day salary to help the affectees at Thar.
Commissioner Karachi’s Program on Earthquake Safety
PIA is actively participating in Commissioner Karachi’s Program on Earthquake Safety by conducting Awareness Sessions in schools and the community, and distributing pamphlets and banners on the precautions.